Simple Creamy Clam Chowder
I made this today for lunch - a cloudy, rainy day here on the eastern seaboard (of the US).
Here's how I did it:
- heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil on medium-high heat, in a heavy kettle, stovetop.
- saute 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped celery rib, one onion, chopped, for about 5 minutes until onion is golden, not brown.
- add 2 cups fish stock and 2 tablespoons each chopped basil and parsley.simmer this for a few minutes.
- 3 minutes before serving, turn heat to low.
- then add 10 clams, chopped, with their juice.
- immediately before serving, add 1/2 cup heavy cream.
And I'll leave you with this. It's been a few short weeks since the heat of summer was still upon us, and with it, this skipper, enjoying his (or her) pollen repast. Thanks to Nick for this beautiful parting shot.